Abbey Road Activity
Lake Superior Tall Ships and the Abbey Road were busy again this past summer. The AR was out on the water 97 days (vs 83 in 2015), with 798 guests (vs 762) and sailed 1584 nautical miles (vs 1418). Most of the trips were 3 to 4-hour half day or evening sails, and many of the guests (especially the Sea Scouts) were repeat sailors. Of the trips:
- 29 days were bareboat charters with 7.1 guests/day on board.
- 5 days were with Bayfield Middle and High School students, 10.8 guests/day.
- 11 days were with Northland College students, 9.6 guests/day
- 23 Community Sailing Days, 9.2 guests/day, and
- 29 days were with the area Sea Scouts, 9.7 scouts & guests/day. The Sea Scout trips included a sail to Duluth for the Tall Ships Festival in August. Details from this trip can be seen in the September post.
Thanks to the generosity of our donors and a revenue from the bareboat charters, we had enough funding to pay our operating expenses and still have a little money left in the bank at the end of the year. So again with the exception of the bareboat charters, we did not charge a fee to anyone who went sailing with us in 2016.
We are starting to put together our 2017 calendar, so please let us know if you'd like to come sailing with us.