Join Us September 7-9, 2018 and Immerse Yourself in Lake Superior’s Maritime History at the
The 1st Annual Bayfield
Classic Boat & Schooner Rendezvous
Lake Superior Tall Ships has invited beautiful classic boats & schooners from around the region to rendezvous at the Bayfield City Dock for your viewing pleasure. Boats invited to participate include:
- Abbey Road, a 52' Bluewater Vagabond Staysail Schooner, built in 1989
- Quickstep, a 45' Topsail Schooner, 1955
- Hjordis, the North House Folk School's 50' Flagship
- Huloa, a 36' Bluenose Junior Schooner, 1939
- Rosemary Ruth, a Tom Colvin 40' Pinky Schooner, 1981
- Manitou, a 33' Acadia Ketch , 1968
- Mara, a 28' Kings Cruiser Sloop, 1956
- Journey, a 51' Steel Gaff Rigged Schooner, 1985
- Small boats will be displayed at the Bayfield Maritime Museum
Boats will be arriving throughout the day on Friday and the public is invited to Meet & Greet the Crews on the Bayfield city dock from 7 pm to 9 pm.
Visitors are welcome to stroll the docks all weekend and Experience the dynamic nautical history of Bayfield, the Apostle Islands and Lake Superior at the Bayfield Maritime Museum, the Bayfield Heritage Museum and the Madeline Island Museum.
The Northland College Voyageurs will be performing on the dock from 10am to Noon on Saturday. The highlight of the day will be a Boat Parade from 1–3pm in front of Bayfield — cover your ears when the cannon salutes! Stop by the Bayfield Carnegie Library afterwards to browse their selection of nautical books then stay for the documentary "Maidentrip" at 4:30.
Larry Carpenter will perform Sea Shanties and Traditional Music from 7–9pm in the Ferry Terminal. Then the sky will light up with a Demonstration of the use of Marine Flares by U.S. Coast Guard Station Bayfield on the dock at 9:30pm.
The visiting boats will be departing at various times on Sunday. Be on watch for two or more boats casting off at the same time as an impromptu race may be about to begin!
There is no admission fee to stroll the dock, visit the Bayfield Museums or browse the library. However free will donations for the participating organizations are greatly appreciated.
- Lake Superior Tall Ships
- Bayfield Carnegie Library
- Bayfield Heritage Museum
- Bayfield Maritime Museum
- Madeline Island Museum
- Sea Scout Ship 336
- United States Coast Guard; Station Bayfield